QuickBooks is one of the best accounting software. QuickBooks Users use QB to handle payroll and accounting for their small and medium-sized businesses; issuing tax forms to employees becomes necessary. Once you have issued W-2s to employees, there will be several requests for the replacement forms. Following all the Internal Revenue Service guidelines, you can reprint W2 in QuickBooks. After that, employees will be able to have all the salary information required to complete an income tax return.
In this article, we discussed various ways to print W2 forms in QuickBooks, for more information stick to the article till the end.
Highlighted points of this Article:
- What do you mean by W-2 Form?
- IRS W2 forms printing demands for QuickBooks Online
- What are the ways to print W2 QuickBooks Online?
- IRS printing demands for QuickBooks Desktop
- What are the ways to print W2 in QuickBooks Desktop?
- How to reprint W2 in QuickBooks Desktop?
- IRS demands for reprinting employees W2 forms in QuickBooks
- How to reprint W2 in QuickBooks Desktop?
- Substitute method to reprint W2 in QuickBooks
- FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What do you mean by W-2 Form?
A W-2 form is a form that shows the amount of taxes that have been held back from your paycheck for the year and is used to file your state and federal taxes.
The Internal Revenue Service, mainly called IRS, needs employers to report the wages and salaries of their employees in the W-2 form as an employee W-2 information is essential when you prepare for your tax return. Therefore, the IRS has made it mandatory for all employers to send the W-2 to their employees before January 31st as it is the close of the tax year and ensures that it is on time.
The W-2 form is divided into multiple boxes that contain the information regarding your items related to the income. For example, box 1 contains your annual wages and salary payments, including the amount of federal tax withheld from it in box 2. Box 3 reports an amount that is less than your entire wages for the year. And all the other boxes have your wages subject to social security tax, state income tax, Medicare tax, only if relevant.
IRS W2 forms printing demands for QuickBooks Online
- IRS demands only 4-up blank printable forms for employees.
- Usage of only non-reflective black ink to print W-2 forms.
- Only use QuickBooks online payroll.
Important: Preprinted W2 forms are not for QuickBooks Online.
What are the ways to reprint W2 in QuickBooks Online?
Built-in feature to print W2 forms in QuickBooks is available only in the latest payroll version or in the basic version. Therefore, before proceeding with the steps, select the paper you will use to print W2 in company payroll preferences.
- From the settings, click on Payroll settings.
- In the preference column, choose the proper W2 printing option.
To print W2 QuickBooks Online.
- Open QuickBooks online, go to the Taxes tab, and then to the payroll tax option.
- From the forms, tap on Annual forms.
- After that, choose one of the options from the drop-down menu, i.e., all employees or only one employee name.
- Now, select W-2, Copies B, C, and 2 to open the printable employee copy.
- Further, go to the period menu and select the correct date range.
- At last, click on View to check the printed form and hit the printer icon.
Note: W-2 Copy B is for the federal/IRS tax filling, Copy C is for employees to keep it as a record, and Copy 2 is for the state or local agencies.
IRS printing demands for QuickBooks Desktop
- Only use the upgraded version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Only use the upgraded payroll tax table.
- Print W2 on 4-up perforated forms for QuickBooks Assisted Payroll.
- Print W2 forms on 3-up perforated forms for QuickBooks Standard Payroll or Enhanced Payroll (only for employees).
- Use black ink & print onto paper for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Use preprinted forms for Inkjet printer.
What are the ways to print W2 in QuickBooks Desktop?
The steps are not as easy as for QuickBooks online; you must execute all the steps mentioned very carefully.
STEP 1 – Open W-2 forms in QB Desktop
- At first, go to Employees and then click on payroll tax forms and W-2s.
- Now, click on the payroll forms.
- After that, select annual form W-2/W-3 wage and tax statement transmittal.
- Hit create form button.
- If you wish to file the forms of every employee, then choose all employees, also tap on the employee’s last name.
- Further, add the year of the form that you want to print, hit OK.
Note: QuickBooks desktop allows you to have the one version of the tax form only, i.e., if you have the 2017 version form, but you want to print W-2 forms for 2016, then only use the newer version of the form.
- Next, select the employees for printing the form.
- If you reviewed all the W-2 forms, hit review/edit and then select submit form for proceeding with the printing procedure.
- In the end, don’t forget to tap on print/e-file.
STEP 2 – Select the paper type & item to print W-2 forms window
- To start with, choose between blank paper & preprinted forms.
- After that, decide for whom you want to print from the select item to print option.
In the case of employees
If using blank paper:
- Select 3 per page for copies B, 2, and C.
- Select 4 per page for copies B, 2, 2, and C.
- In case not preprinted on the paper, then choose the employee filling instructions as it is compulsory.
If using Preprinted Forms:
- W-2 Copy B, 2 per page for federal tax return & IRS filing.
- W-2 Copy 2, 2 per page for state and local tax department filing.
- W-2 Copy C, 2 per page for employees to keep it as a record.
- In case not preprinted on the paper, then choose the employee filing instructions (mandatory).
In case of Employer
- W-2 Copy D, 1 page per employee for employer’s record.
- For W-2 forms, select employer filing instructions.
In case of Government
- W-2 Copy A, 2 per page for SSA (Social Security Administration)
- W-2 Copy 1, 2 per page for state and local tax department.
Important: In case you filled forms electronically with the SSA, then mailing Copy A is not mandatory.
STEP 3 – Export the form to a PDF reader
- First of all, you need to do a print test if you are using preprinted forms.
- After that, tap on the print PDF.
- At last, start the printing procedure.
IRS demands for reprinting employees W2 forms in QuickBooks
Before reprinting W2 for employees, ensure that the payroll tax table is upgraded to the latest version
- It is mandatory to attach copies of 2, B, and C.
- Providing a copy of the W2 form filing instructions is compulsory.
- W2 form must include the word Reissued Statement in it.
How to reprint W2 in QuickBooks Desktop?
In case your W2 form is misplaced or lost, then you can reprint it from QuickBooks. By following IRS requirements, you can reprint the W2 tax terms. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the top menu bar. From there, click on employees.
- Now, select the payroll centre.
- Move your cursor to the annual form and click on it.
- Scroll down to the drop-down menu; choose the employee for whom you wish to reprint the W2 form. After that, tap on the W2 copy B, C, and 2.
- Insert the year and click on view reprint. Add Reissued statement as per IRS requirements (only if you are reprinting).
- Hit on the view report. Now the w2 form will get opened in the new window in PDF format.
- Next, tap on continue.
- Open forms from adobe reader and from there you can select any option, i.e., Blank/perforated paper or simple plain paper, to reprint the w2 form.
- Lastly, from the file menu, select the Print option.
Substitute method to reprint W2 in QuickBooks
Here is the other method to reprint W-2 in QB. Listed below are the steps:
- First of all, from the employees, click on payroll tax forms and then W2.
- Next, choose process payroll forms and then select filings from the filing history option.
- From the history column, decide the form you wish to print first. Select the link from the saved PDF column.
- To complete the task, hit the print icon.
To get the information of the last year W2 form
- Go to the reports menu.
- Now, choose Employees & payroll and then click on more payroll reports in Excel.
- Move your cursor to tax form worksheets and click on them.
- Next, go to the downloaded excel file, choose the annual W2.
- If you want to reprint W2 of the last year, then you can modify the year if required.
- Finally, hit create report.
FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions)
Question 1: How to reissue W2 in QuickBooks?
Answer: yes, you can definitely reissue W2 in QB from the archived forms section and then print a copy of the tax form. Follow the steps below:
- Initially, take your cursor to the Taxes menu and hit payroll tax.
- From the Annual forms, select view & print archived forms.
- Now, check the W-2 copies and hit enter.
- In the end, select View and print the tax form.
Question 2: How to print W2 in QuickBooks 2017
Answer: Follow the steps mentioned below to print W2 in QuickBooks
- Select taxes and then Payroll tax.
- Click on annual forms.
- Choose all employees or one particular employee.
- Hit W-2 copies B, C, and 2
- Decide the year you want to print.
- Hit view. At last, choose the print icon from the reader toolbar and then click on print.
Hopefully, you were able to reprint W2 in QuickBooks. However, printing W2 forms or any other federal tax forms or knowing how to print W2s on preprinted forms and how to reprint W2 in QuickBooks enterprise can become a challenging task. Thus, follow all the instructions mentioned above very carefully to prevent it from damage.