Are you facing QuickBooks Error H202 while working in multi-user mode? QuickBooks H-series errors are caused due to internal or external glitches. Users encounter this enormous error when the workstation fails to link with the company file and doesn’t allow the user to access the company file. The error states that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked. Therefore, to resolve QuickBooks Error H202, you must know what the error means and the possible causes behind this error.
What Does QuickBooks Error Code H202 mean?
Users encounter H202 Error QuickBooks 2019 when they try to open their company file in a multi-user mode. The error code appears on the screen with an error message that says, “You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)” The error message states that the company file is located on a different computer, and QuickBooks requires help to connect with the company file. When the error appears, you will not be able to open the company file stored on another computer.
If you have also stumbled on QuickBooks Error Message H202, then this article is best for you. Below we will discuss the symptoms, causes, and troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks Error Code H202.
What causes QuickBooks Error H202?
Many times users raise this query: “Why do I get error H202 when trying to open QuickBooks in multi-user mode?” and why “I am Getting Error Code H202 While Switching to Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks”. Read the point given below to know the possible reasons which lead to QuickBooks Error H202.
- The error may occur when firewall settings block the server to a multi-user connection.
- Improper QuickBooks File Hosting configuration or settings can also lead to the error.
- When the QuickBooks workstation is unable to ping the host server, then also an error can occur.
- Users may encounter Error H202 in QuickBooks when conflicting QuickBooks Database Manager conflicts with the DNS server.
Let’s dig deeper into the reasons behind Error H202 in QuickBooks.
- Users can also encounter the error when QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX services are not running.
- The issue with the QuickBooks Database Server Manager can also lead to an error.
- In case the .nd file is corrupted or damaged.
- A misconfigured DNS setting can also lead to an error.
- QuickBooks Error Code H202 may also occur when QBCFMonitor is not running on this computer.
- Network Connection may also occur due to QBDBMgrN not running issue.
Below are the possible signs that may help you to recognize This Error
- When the error occurs, the QuickBooks application may freeze.
- Your System may become inactive due to this error.
- The user won’t be able to switch to the QB multi-user mode setup.
- Due to this error, users won’t be able to company files on another computer.
- Error Code H202 will be displayed on the screen frequently along with the error message that says, “You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”.
Get Rid of QuickBooks Error H202 in Handy Way (Top 7 Effective Ways)
Once you know all the possible causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202, then you can easily choose the best troubleshooting solutions to resolve this issue. Make sure to go through all the solutions as per your query.
1. Resolve the issue with the help of the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool helps to analyze and fix the network issue.
- First, download and install the QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool.
- Now, run the tool and scan the QuickBooks Company file folder.
- Make sure to note down the IP address when the tool runs.
- After that, go to the Firewall Status Section and enable the ports with the Open Ports Button.
- Make sure to follow the wizard’s instructions carefully.
- Finally, open the file from the system where Error Code H202 occurs.
- If the error code H202 still prevails, then follow the next solution.
2. Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager to resolve the issue.
- First, press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run Command.
- Type MSc in the Run box and click on the Ok button.
- Now, choose Services Icon.
- You must scroll through the list of services and select QuickBooksDBxx (XX represents the QuickBooks version).
- After that, double-click the QuickBooksDBxx services, and further to disable the services click the Stop button.
- Make sure to choose the service start option as Automatic from the drop-down menu followed by Start.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks application and try to open the file again.
3. Resolve the issue by renaming.TLG and .ND File
- First, close QuickBooks on all the computers.
- Now, open the company file folder on the server computer.
- After that, locate and select the TLG file, which is associated with your QuickBooks File has QuickBooks Error H202 while opening it.
- Next, right-click on the TLG file and select Rename option.
- Further, to rename the file, add OLD before the file name and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Close the QuickBooks Company File Folder.
- Once you have completed the above step for .ND and .TLG files will be automatically created when you reopen the company file.
- Lastly, reopen the company file while holding the alternate key down till the file opens up.
- If, after following this solution, you are still facing QuickBooks Error H202, then skip to the next solution.
Follow the same steps for the .ND file.
4. Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful and reliable tool that helps diagnose and resolve different kinds of QuickBooks errors, including H-series errors.
- To utilize this tool, download it from the Intuit website and then save the downloaded file.
- Install QuickBooks File Doctor Tool by double-clicking on the downloaded file and, after that, running the tool.
- Wait patiently until the task is completed.
- Once the process is done, restart your system and open QuickBooks again to see if the error is resolved.
5. Test Network Connectivity
- Firstly, open QuickBooks on all the computers which are networked for using QuickBooks.
- Go to the File menu and then select Utilities.
- Now, in the utility section, turn off the hosting option.
- Now, press the Windows key and type “This PC” on the QuickBooks Host Computer in the search box.
- Next, you must double-click the Network option from the left windowpane to verify that all the networks are visible.
- After that, from the QuickBooks Host / Server computer ping all the workstations, respectively.
- Further, start to ping the QuickBooks Server / Host from the computer showing QB Error Code H202.
- After that, make sure that the ping test’s command has to be done on Command Prompt.
- Finally, ping command syntax: ping [Computer Name] and press Enter.
6. Resolve the issue by making a new folder for the QuickBooks Company File
- First of all, make a new folder on the server.
- Now, change permissions so that the new folder and QuickBooks company files can be shared.
- After that, copy the .qbw file to the new folder.
- Further, in the multi-user mode, open your QuickBooks Company file and see if QuickBooks error H202 is still appearing on opening the QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode. If yes, then follow the next solution.
7. Its Time To Update The QuickBooks Application
- Close QuickBooks in all the Workstations.
- From the Windows Start Menu, open Programs and Features.
- Now, from the installed programs list, find QuickBooks.
- Right-click on the program and choose the Change/ repair option.
- Further, in the next Window, check all the options.
- Wait until Windows has completed Repairing QuickBooks.
- Lastly, open your application and check for the latest updates.
- Go to Help, and choose Update QuickBooks Desktop from the drop-down list from the top menu section.
- Select the Update Now option.
- Once the Update is Completed, Restart your system.
How do I enable multi-user mode in QuickBooks?
Multi-user mode in QuickBooks means that users can work from different workstations for the same file. The goal of this system is to increase productivity while staying remote and incurring less cost. Those who want this enable or their QuickBooks multi-user mode not working can follow the quick steps below:
- Log in to the application as a user
- Then you’ll see that the application is running on single-user mode which is the default setting
- Click on the Menu bar now
- From this menu, click on the File button
- Now in the file menu, you’ll find multiuser mode
- Enable multi-user mode
Recommended To Read: 4 Golden Rules To Fix QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Not Working
How do I switch back to the multiple-user mode?
QuickBooks is a business accounting software for which users might need to change from single to multiple-user mode and vice versa.
Look a glance at the couple of steps to switch between modes,
- Browse the QuickBooks File menu
- Then select Switch to Single-user Mode/Switch to Multi-user Mode.
How does QuickBooks Desktop work with multiple users?
Multiple users can work on QuickBooks Desktop in a shared network or server. It lets the users work remotely, anytime and anywhere. It will need a host computer to share the file. There are a few steps that the users need to follow before enabling this function. They are:
- Set up QuickBooks
- Set up sharing permissions
- Set up your firewall settings
- Create user accounts in QuickBooks
- Turn on multiuser mode
Why is QuickBooks so slow in multi-user mode?
Although this is not an error in a proper sense, it has an explanation for why multi-user mode is slow, QuickBooks running slow error gradually might turn out as QuickBooks multi-user mode not working. Reasons are:
- The host computer which has data files stored is slow
- The file might be too large in terms of data file size
- Many users accessing the same module at once
- Replace faulty or slow Network Interface Card (NIC)
- To ensure the best performance, make sure to save the QuickBooks file and the QuickBooks server in one system if possible.
- Use only one module at a given time and minimize the number of shared users
Now we have reached the final point of the blog, we can assume that the readers are well-assisted here. We focussed and demonstrated the issues with the multi-user mode being slow. There is a chat process as well to assist you with your queries.