Are you facing QuickBooks Error H202 while working in multi-user mode? QuickBooks H-series errors are caused due to internal or external glitches. Users encounter this enormous error when the workstation fails to link with the company file and doesn’t allow the user to access the company file. The error states that the multi-user connection to the server is blocked. Therefore, to resolve QuickBooks Error H202, you must know what the error means and the possible causes behind this error.
What QuickBooks Error Code H202 means?
Users encounter H202 Error QuickBooks 2019 when they try to open their company file in a multi-user mode. The error code appears on the screen with an error message that says, “You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)” The error message states that the company file is located on a different computer, and QuickBooks requires help to connect with the company file. When the error appears, you will not be able to open the company file stored on another computer.
If you have also stumbled on QuickBooks Error Message H202, then this article is best for you. Below we will discuss the symptoms, causes, and troubleshooting steps for QuickBooks Error Code H202.
What causes QuickBooks Error H202?
Many times users raise this query: “Why do I get error H202 when trying to open QuickBooks in multi-user mode?” and why “I am Getting Error Code H202 While Switching to Multi-User Mode in QuickBooks”. Read the point given below to know the possible reasons which lead to QuickBooks Error H202.
- The error may occur when firewall settings block the server to a multi-user connection.
- Improper QuickBooks File Hosting configuration or settings can also lead to the error.
- When the QuickBooks workstation is unable to ping the host server, then also the error can occur.
- Users may encounter Error H202 in QuickBooks when conflicting QuickBooks Database Manager conflicts with the DNS server.
Let’s dig deeper into the reasons behind Error H202 in QuickBooks.
- The error may occur when the Host or Server’s IP address is not available for the QuickBooks Desktop.
You might also like: PRIMARY FEATURES OF QUICKBOOKS DESKTOP
- Users can also encounter the error when QBCFMonitor or QuickBooksDBXX services are not running.
- The issue with the QuickBooks Database Server Manager can also lead to an error.
- In case the .nd file is corrupted or damaged.
- A misconfigured DNS setting can also lead to an error.
- QuickBooks Error Code H202 may also occur when QBCFMonitor is not running on this computer.
- Network Connection may also occur due to QBDBMgrN not running issue.
Symptoms of Error Code H202 QuickBooks 2018
Below are the possible signs that may help you to recognize QuickBooks Error H202.
- When the error occurs, the QuickBooks application may freeze.
- Your System may become inactive due to this error.
- The user won’t be able to switch to the QB multi-user mode setup.
- Due to this error, users won’t be able to company files on another computer.
- Error Code H202 will be displayed on the screen frequently along with the error message that says, “You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”.
Get Rid of QuickBooks Error H202 in Handy Way (Top 7 Effective Ways)
Once you know all the possible causes and symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202, then you can easily choose the best troubleshooting solutions to resolve this issue. Make sure to go through all the solutions as per your query.
Troubleshooting Solution 1
Resolve the issue with the help of QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool helps to analyze and fix the network issue.
- At first, download and install the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- Now, run the tool and scan the QuickBooks Company file folder.
- Make sure to note down the IP address when the tool runs.
- After that, go to the Firewall Status Section and enable the ports with the Open Ports Button.
- Make sure to follow the wizard instruction carefully.
- Finally, open the file from the system where Error Code H202 occurs.
- If the error code H202 still prevails, then follow the next solution.
Troubleshooting Solution 2
Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager to resolve the issue.
- At first, press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run Command.
- Type MSc in the Run box and click on the Ok button.
- Now, choose Services Icon.
- You must scroll through the list of services and select QuickBooksDBxx (XX represents the QuickBooks version).
- After that, double-Click the QuickBooksDBxx services, and further to disable the services click the Stop button.
- Make sure to choose the service start option as Automatic from the drop-down menu followed by Start.
- Finally, open the QuickBooks application and try to open the file again.
Troubleshooting Solution 3
Resolve the issue by renaming .TLG and .ND File
- At first, close QuickBooks on all the computers.
- Now, open the company file folder on the server computer.
- After that, locate and select .TLG file, which is associated with to your QuickBooks File having QuickBooks Error H202 while opening it.
- Next, right-click on .TLG file and select Rename option.
- Further, to rename the file, add OLD before the file name and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Close the QuickBooks Company File Folder.
- Once you have completed the above step for the. ND and .TLG file will be automatically created when you reopen the company file.
- Lastly, reopen the company file while holding the alternate key down till the file opens up.
- If, after following this solution, you are still facing QuickBooks Error H202, then skip to the next solution.
Follow the same steps for the .ND file.
Troubleshooting Solution 4
Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
QuickBooks File Doctor is a powerful and reliable tool that helps diagnose and resolve different kinds of QuickBooks errors, including H-series error.
- To utilize this tool, download it from the Intuit website and then save the downloaded file.
- Install QuickBooks File Doctor Tool by double-clicking on the downloaded file and, after that, run the tool.
- Wait patiently until the task is completed.
- Once the process is done, restart your system and open QuickBooks again to see if the error is resolved.
Troubleshooting Solution 5
Test Network Connectivity
- Firstly, open QuickBooks on all the computers which are networked for using QuickBooks.
- Go to the File menu and then select Utilities.
- Now, in the utilities section, turn off the hosting option.
- Now, press the Windows key and type “This PC” on the QuickBooks Host Computer in the search box.
- Next, you must double-click the Network option from the left windowpane to verify that all the networks are visible.
- After that, from the QuickBooks Host / Server computer ping all the workstations, respectively.
- Further, start to ping the QuickBooks Server / Host from the computer showing QB Error Code H202.
- After that, make sure that the ping test’s command has to be done on Command Prompt.
- Finally, ping command syntax: ping [Computer Name] and press Enter.
Troubleshooting Solution 6
Resolve the issue by making a new folder for QuickBooks Company File
- First of all, make a new folder on the server.
- Now, change permissions so that the new folder and QuickBooks company files can be shared.
- After that, press Ctrl and C key on your keyboard for copying the .qbw file to the new folder.
- Further, in the multi-user mode, open your QuickBooks Company file and see if QuickBooks error H202 is still appearing on opening the QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode. If yes, then follow the next solution.
Troubleshooting Solution 7
Update QuickBooks application
- At first, close QuickBooks in all the Workstations.
- From the Windows Start Menu, open Programs and Features.
- Now, from the installed programs list, find QuickBooks.
- Right-click on the program and choose the Change/ repair option.
- Further, in the next Window, check all the options.
- Wait until Windows has completed Repairing QuickBooks.
- Lastly, open your application and check for the latest updates.
- Go to the Help, choose Update QuickBooks Desktop from the drop-down list from the top menu section.
- Select the Update Now option.
- Once the Update is Completed, Restart your system.
QuickBooks Error H202 is a problematic issue that occurs when users try to open the company file in a multi-user mode. The issue can easily be resolved by running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool in the application. In this article, we have mentioned different alternative solutions to fix QuickBooks Error H202.
You can go through Accounting and Bookkeeping Professionals at our toll free number (800) 280-5969 for any help regarding the issue.