Are you struggling with QuickBooks Error PS038 while updating or processing paychecks in QuickBooks? Well, it might be possible that you may encounter the error code if you are using an older version of the QuickBooks application. However, there are many other reasons also which may lead you to the error code.
If you end up with a PS038 error while running payroll? Then, don’t fret and move ahead; read the entire post to understand more about the QB error PS038.
What is QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS038?
QuickBooks is one of the best accounting applications. Besides its advanced technicality, sometimes a user may encounter QuickBooks Error PS038. A technical error code may occur while trying to send paychecks online, update QuickBooks Payroll or Payroll Tax Tables.
The error message appears on the screen when a regular user tries to send paychecks online, and unfortunately, the checks hang in-between “Online to Send.” The error code also stops the user from sending employees payroll data.
QuickBooks Error Message PS038 says, “QuickBooks payroll won’t update error PS038; validate payroll subscription“. The most apparent reason behind this error is an inactive payroll subscription.
QuickBooks Payroll Error PS038- Possible Causes and Symptoms
Many reasons give rise to QuickBooks Error PS038, but the most significant reasons are mentioned below.
- Outdated QuickBooks application.
- The error may occur if you are using an old approach to download QuickBooks payroll.
- The error pop-ups when the user tries to send paychecks via online mode and the Paycheck stuck “Online to Send.”
- Damaged in Company Files is one of the most apparent reasons.
- Retrieving of latest payroll update.
- Inactive bank account.
- Payroll updates not installed.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error PS038
Below is the list of specific unfavorable effects that the error code leaves on your business accounting.
- As soon as the error occurs, it crashes an active window and degrades the Windows performance.
- The error code lowers the processing speed and increases the timing of the task completion.
- When the error appears, the payroll update process gets interrupted.
- The user must look at various records to check the error while handling paychecks because of data discrepancies.
Before you proceed to resolve payroll error PS038, there are some crucial factors that you must look into for troubleshooting the error.
Essential Factors Before Troubleshooting.
There are specific points that you must take care of to fix the error code effectively.
Make sure to update the QuickBooks application to the latest version.
- Open the QuickBooks application and click on the Help section.
- Select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- At the top right corner, click on the Update Now.
- Further, click Get Updates.
- Once the Update is completed, you must close and re-open the QuickBooks application.
Create a Backup of your Company File and Payroll Data.
- Open the QuickBooks application, go to the File Menu.
- Select the Backup Company option and then click on Create Local Backup.
- When Create Backup Window pop up on your screen, select Local Backup.
- Click on Options.
- Now, when Backup Options Window pops up on the screen, click Browse.
- Select a Location to store the Backup copy.
- Note- Do not save your backup on the leading local drive. In case you use a flash drive, file hosting service, or any removable media, select them.
- Once you have selected the location, click on the Ok button.
Make sure to install the latest updates of the payroll tax table.
- Open QuickBooks application and select Employees.
- Now, click on Get Payroll Updates.
- Click on Download Latest Update.
- When the Update is completed, an informational window will appear on the screen.
- To get the payroll updates’ full functions, make sure that your QuickBooks application is updated with the latest version.
Note- You can no longer update your tax tables via CD because of discontinuing disk delivery from January 2021.
Troubleshooting Methods To Fix QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS038
You may get stuck with the QuickBooks Error Message PS038 while running payroll or downloading the payroll updates.
To Get handy solution for QuickBooks error PS038 in the below-listed situations, stick with this post.
Situation 1- When Paycheck gets stuck as “Online to Send.”
Situation 2- If it persists even after the Rebuild.
Try Sending Payroll After Updating QuickBooks
- Open QuickBooks, go to the Employees Menu.
- Click on My Payroll Services.
- Under the Employees tab, click Send Usage Data.
- If you can send data successfully, then update the payroll again.
In case you are still getting the same error, follow the next solution or else take help from our Accounting and Bookkeeping Helpline Number (800) 280-5969.
Check and Find Paycheck stuck as “Online to Send.”
- Open QuickBooks, click on the Edit tab.
- Under the Edit tab, select Find and choose the Advanced option.
- Under the Choose Filter tab, locate the Filter list and choose Detail Level.
- Now, select Summary Only.
- Under the Choose Filter tab, click on the Filter List and select Online Status.
- At the right-hand side, click on the drop-down list and select Online to Send.
- To check all the unsent paychecks, click on the Find button.
Run a verify and Rebuild Data Tool
- Before running the Rebuild Data Tool, make sure to create the backup of the company file.
- Now, click the Rebuild Now button as shown in the screenshot.
- Once the Rebuild process is completed, you can find the status of stuck paychecks.
If QuickBooks Update Error PS038 occurs after the Rebuild
- Open QuickBooks, go to the Edit tab.
- Click Find.
- After that, click the Advanced option.
- Now, under the Choose Filter section, open the Filter list and click on the Detail Level.
- Click Summary Only.
- In the Choose Filter section, go to Online Status and click on Online to Send.
- Click on the Find button.
- Now record the details of the paychecks that haven’t been sent into.
- Save the file in excel format.
Edit the Paychecks details
- At first, open the first check in the list.
- Click the Check detail.
- Go to the Earnings section under the Review paycheck window and add the same earnings items as the last earning item in the list.
- Now, you will find the Net pay locked notifications on your screen.
- Further, click No over it.
- Now, of the new earning item, set the Rate field.
- Make sure that the taxes and net pay are the same.
- After verifying all the changes, click on the Ok button.
- Now, click Yes over the Past transactions alert notification.
- Click Save and close the Paycheck.
- In case, recording transactions warning notification appears, then click on the Yes button.
- Open the Paycheck again and click the Paycheck details.
- Confirm the Taxes and Net pay again.
- Click Ok and click Save.
- Repeat the same steps for the other paychecks that are facing a similar problem.
Why is Rebuild Data Tool unable to remove the QB Error PS038?
- The possible reason is that maybe the Accountant Copy is pending.
- If the Condense Data was performed on the QuickBooks Data File for the date, it also includes your stuck paychecks.
- Maybe your stuck paychecks are beyond the oldest date of billing.
QuickBooks is the best accounting application for handling payroll services. If you are facing QuickBooks Error PS038 while updating payroll on your QuickBooks application, then make sure to update your application with the latest version. Follow the alternative solutions mentioned above in the post.
We hope that this post has helped you to resolve the error code with just a few clicks. If you still encounter the error, don’t fret about data loss and contact our QuickBooks Data Repair Team by dialing on +1(800) 280-5969.