QuickBooks search not working is a technical error that comes when QuickBooks Desktop has an outdated version or registry error in the windows operating system. It’s a pesky situation where QuickBooks is not able to use the search option. Well, there is no need to worry about it. We all know that QB is the best accounting software worldwide, but unfortunately, we face this type of error due to more reasons, which we will discuss later in this article carefully.
If you need a quick solution, QB resolve is available to resolve your issue QuickBooks Search is not working. However, we strongly recommend you to call on Toll-Free Number +1(800) 280-5969 and avail with brief guidelines with our experienced QuickBooks Pro Advisor.
What is QuickBooks Search Not Working?
QuickBooks Desktop and Online app have several features that one can utilize to reduce the efforts put into managing daily bookkeeping tasks. One of such features is the QuickBooks search feature that you can use to search for any transaction, client, company file, and any type of desired data. After you search, QuickBooks will instantly return with the results you are looking for. However, sometimes after updating the QuickBooks Desktop application, you might face an error where QuickBooks Search will not show any results, and you get a QuickBooks search not working error.
Why QuickBooks Search Stops Working
The error “QuickBooks Search not working” generally comes while QuickBooks Desktop is being updated on your computer when the updating of software is not done properly. There will be many reasons behind the error QuickBooks search not working. Some common causes are mentioned below.
- While updating the QuickBooks Desktop version, you took the wrong steps to update
- Third-party QuickBooks
- There could be a damaged search index in QuickBooks
- QuickBooks search not working
- Registry error with PC windows
- Interruption of Firewall Windows
Symptoms: QuickBooks Search Not Working
QuickBooks search, not working errors mainly occur while updating the QuickBooks Desktop software to its current release. When the updates are not correctly installed after the download. Some other reasons that can trigger this error in the QB search feature are listed below.
- Windows Firewall or a third-party firewall is interrupting QuickBooks.
- Registry error in Windows operating system.
- Damaged QuickBooks Search Index file.
- At last, the most important for this error is the outdated version of the QuickBooks Desktop.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Search Not Working in Easy Way
Here are the easiest solutions to resolve the QB Search not working error
Solution 1: Rename The QB Search Index File
Corruption in the Search Index file is the most common cause of the issue we are discussing in this article. Renaming the file will force QuickBooks to create a new file which can help rectify the problem.
- Open QuickBooks and exit the company file.
- Press the Windows Start button and type *.SearchIndex in the Search Programs and Files search box.
- Press Enter and Windows will take you to C:\ Users\ UserName\Public \Documents\Intuit\ QuickBooks\Company File\ Companyfilename.QBW folder.
- Now locate qbw.SearchIndex Folder and type .OLD at last folder name.
- Now open your QuickBooks Company File again.
- From the top left corner of the Window, click the Search/Magnified Glass tab.
- Directly from the left side panel, click the Update Search Information option.
- Once you see the update in progress, please wait notification click OK.
After the update completes, try using the search feature. If you are still not able to use the search feature of QuickBooks, then follow the next troubleshooting step.
Solution 2: Off Firewall Protection
- If you are using an inbuilt firewall, turn off the firewall temporarily from under the control panel and try using the search feature.
- Open Control Panel and go to the System and Security section. From here, you can select Windows Firewall to open its settings.
- Checkmark the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall option and click OK to save the changes.
- In case if you have installed a third-party firewall, you can find instructions to turn off that particular firewall on its website.
Solution 3: Uninstall & Download QuickBooks
Reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop using QuickBooks Clean Install Tool this will refresh the application and remove any anomalous behavior of the software. If the search function is still broken, then jump to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 4: Firewall From Obstructing QuickBooks
If you are using a Windows Firewall, then you may disable it by reaching the turn-off option under the control panel. On the other hand, if you have a third-party Firewall installed on your system, then you can see how to turn off the firewall on its official website. Finally, try the next troubleshooting method if the search error in QuickBooks persists.
Solution 5: Having a Problem with the QuickBooks Search Feature, then Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
Follow the mentioned points to Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop:
- Firstly, go to your computer’s ‘Start‘ menu and open the ‘Control Panel‘.
- Go to the ‘Programs and Features’ section.
- Select QuickBooks from the list of applications.
Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Go and hit the uninstall option.
- Download the latest QuickBooks version from its website or insert the installation CD.
- Then, double-click on the configuration files to execute the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Activate your QuickBooks account using the license key.
- At last, open your QuickBooks application now to check if the search bar is working now.
Solution 6: Restart your Operating System
Whether you are using QuickBooks Online or Desktop, restarting the operating system QuickBooks is running on can sometimes do wonders. Restarting the operating system restarts the QuickBooks program and other crucial services that help QuickBooks and its features function correctly. If you are using QuickBooks Online, restarting will refresh the browser and related processes to help resolve the issue.
To implement this troubleshooting step, just restart your operating system, whether Mac or Windows. Now try to use the QuickBooks search feature once again. In case if QuickBooks search is still not working, then follow the next troubleshooting solution of this article.
Hello users, a mentioned in the article, we have discussed how QuickBooks Search is not working, its symptoms, important points before following the solutions, and the easiest solutions. and we hope after going through this article, you have easily fixed the QB Search Not Working, but if you are still struggling to fix this, then we suggest without wasting your precious time, call us on our toll-free number +1(800) 280-5969 and avail with brief guidelines with our experienced QuickBooks Pro Advisor.