QuickBooks is an accounting & bookkeeping software developed by Intuit to serve and fulfill the needs of small and medium-sized business owners/organizations. QuickBooks is one of the simple and yet so powerful software that makes user’s work more manageable. It is very user-friendly, time-saving software, but despite that fact, errors & glitches can arise at any moment when utilizing the software. For example, there are times when the QuickBooks desktop freezes when opening. As a result, users might get confused thinking about how to unfreeze QuickBooks.
In this article, we will explain the reasons behind QuickBooks freezing up and the troubleshooting steps to resolve QuickBooks Desktop freezing up. To know more, read this article till the end and execute the steps accordingly.
- QuickBooks Desktop Freezes When Opening – Explained!
- What are the reasons behind QuickBooks Freezing up?
- Symptoms & signs of QuickBooks Desktop Freezing up
- Point to consider before resolving the error
- What are the ways to unfreeze QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop Freezes When Opening – Explained!
The QuickBooks will start getting frozen when the users start working with their reports and also when trying to insert transactions. It might be possible that there is a shortage of space to run the software or must be facing issues related to window files. This hampers the performance of work and might harm company files. It also creates a fresh off-screen window that runs in the background, and it won’t get close even if your try to shut down.
What are the reasons behind QuickBooks Freezing up?
Every time you open QB, it gets frozen, which can be very irritating at times and can also lead to file damages and data loss. Such a situation can also come up while QuickBooks freezes when printing. In that case, it becomes easy to identify the cause. But there are some other reasons too which might trigger the error. Some of them are listed below:
- The User’s company name might be exceeding the limit.
- Must have used corrupted hard drives for software installation.
- Working on damaged or old & expired Operating system might lead to this error.
- Company files exceeding the maximum size can be the reason.
- One of the reasons can be damaged user reference & DDF files.
- Settings of the internet and firewall might be improper.
- Ruined QBWUSER.INI file can lead to the error.
- Background applications are taking too much space.
- Problems related to the installation of QuickBooks, i.e., damaged or corrupted.
- User access control getting enabled can be one of the reasons.
Symptoms & signs of QuickBooks Desktop Freezing up
One of the most faced issues by users is QuickBooks desktop freezes when opening. Some of the symptoms related to the error are mentioned below:
- QuickBooks might respond slow to the keyboard inputs and become inactive, and also the system will start hanging.
- It might be possible that an active window can start crashing very often.
- The users’ system gets shut down after QuickBooks freezes.
- After QuickBooks starts freezing, accounting tasks might get complicated, and the system’s performance will begin degrading.
Point to consider before resolving How to Unfreeze QuickBooks.
Create a company file backup
Create a backup of your company file to avoid any kind of data loss in between the troubleshooting process. Steps are mentioned below:
- Right-click on the QuickBooks.
- Go to the file, click on the backup company file.
- Now, hit on create local Backup.
- At last, follow all the instructions provided on the screen to create a backup of your company file.
What are the ways to unfreeze QuickBooks Desktop?
Here are some of the best solutions that will help you unfreeze the QuickBooks Desktop. Execute the steps accordingly for the best possible results. Make sure that you clear all the background process going on your desktop before proceeding with the steps. Then, try the solutions provided below as per the cause:
SOLUTION 1 – Erase the cache from the Internet Explorer
The performance of the QB desktop becomes slow and inactive when the cache in the IE takes too much space and is not deleted for over a long time. To erase the cache from Internet Explorer, try the following steps mentioned below:
- To begin with, right-click on Internet Explorer.
- Now, go to the gear icon and then click on the Tools menu.
- Scroll down to the safety drop-down menu, choose Delete browsing history.
- After that, check whether the temporary internet files and cookies box is marked or not.
- Finally, hit on delete.
SOLUTION 2: From the Tool Hub, run Quick fix my program.
When QB stops responding, running Quick Fix my program will help users in repairing all programs files promptly. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- At first, start by opening the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Next, move your cursor to the Program Problems and click on it.
- Now, click on the first option Quick Fix my programs button located on the right side of the screen.
- It might take some time to finish and fix the issue; wait patiently.
- After the task gets completed, restart your computer system.
SOLUTION 3: Change the name of the QBWUSER.INI file
Modifying the name of the QBWUSER.INI file can resolve the issue of QuickBooks freezing up. So below are the steps to change the name of the file:
Important: You must allow the hidden file and folders to show by following the steps:
- From the file explorer, click on the view tab.
- Now, click on the hidden items.
- After that, exit QuickBooks and go to my computer.
- From there, select C: Drive, and hit on the search option.
- On the search box, type QBWUSER.INI and press OK.
- Right-click on the file, and from the options, hit on rename.
- Add the word .LMN and hit Enter key.
- At last, restart QuickBooks.
SOLUTION 4: Modify the names of DDF and DAT files
- To begin, close the company file from all the systems.
- Search for the company directory and change the DAT file name (add OLD to it).
- After that, remove all the files containing the DDF extension.
- Now, go to the same directory, right-click on the company and confirm to store payments.
- In the end, take the printout of the same.
SOLUTION 5: Use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Using QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool can fix the error as it helps diagnose issues regarding the component in the QB desktop.
- First of all, download the QuickBooks Install Tool.
- Now, if required, store the file on your desktop.
- After that, close all the programs and right-click on the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- The process might take some time to finish; wait accordingly.
- At last, verify all the components are correctly stored, restart the computer.
SOLUTION 6: Run rebuild data utility or verify for data damage
QuickBooks might take time to open up whenever there is data damage in the company file. To fix it promptly, the user needs to verify data utility if any damage is found and rebuild the data utility to fix it.
- At first, go to the File menu, and select utilities.
- Now, hit on the verify data option and if the tool indicates damages, come back to the file menu.
- After that, click on the rebuild data and tap on OK.
- The tool takes some time to fix the issue; wait for it.
- After the task gets finished, hit on OK.
- At last, run the verify data utility again to make sure that there is no damage present.
SOLUTION 7: Create a portable company file to unfreeze QuickBooks
QuickBooks can compress your company file into a copy that is portable. Through this file format, it becomes simpler to send via an email or external storage device. To create a portable company file, steps are mentioned below:
- From the file tab, click on create a copy.
- Further, choose portable company file and tap on next.
- Decide the location where you want to store the company file.
- In the end, click save and then OK.
To Restore Portable Company File
- Go to the File menu, tap on open or restore company.
- From there, choose to restore a portable file and then hit next.
- Now, select .qbm or portable copy, and then open it.
- Go to where do you want to restore the file and then tap next.
- Select the location to restore the portable file.
- At last, hit on save.
Important: You can rename the portable file every time you want to avoid overwriting your existing file.
We hope that you were able to understand why the QuickBooks desktop freezes when opening through this article. There are times when QuickBooks frozen in the right networks. It becomes very irritating when the system hangs or freezes, especially when it becomes frequent and arises every once in a while. This also damages the company data file. There are multiple ways on how to unfreeze QuickBooks. To prevent data loss, you must resolve it as soon as possible and execute all the steps carefully mentioned above. For better assistance you can contact QuickBooks Professions at (800) 280-5969.